Saturday, July 12, 2008

Restaurant review, The Vintage in Lanesboro

I went to the Vintage on Saturday, June 28 and again on Saturday, July 5, the first time with a small group of friends and co-workers and the second with my mom (dinner and a show was her Mother's Day present). I was impressed both times with the taste of the food and the level of service. It's right next to the Commonweal Theatre. The walls are covered with huge murals that depict life in Lanesboro.

The first time, I had the Chef's Creations pre fixe menu for the night, which began with a beef carpaccio, continued with fava bean dumplings with curry sauce and crispy shallots, then lamb chops, and dessert. I was a bit disappointed in the dumpling with my first bite because it seemed quite bland, but I'd cut off the end of one of the dumplings and eaten it without dipping into the sauce. The second bite had more of the curry sauce and shallots, and tasted like perfection. The lamb chops were quite good and while I know I enjoyed it, I can't remember what it was served with. Should have taken notes, I guess! Unfortunately, they only had one serving left of the rhubarb fool that went with the Chef's Creations menu, so I didn't get to taste it, but I had a very good key lime pie instead.

Last week they didn't have a Chef's Creations menu, although they had a special salad and a special entree. I ordered the special salad, which was chipotle-roasted quail with mixed greens, watermelon and feta cheese. It was on a rectangular plate with the little pieces of quail on one end, the greens on the other, and in between, little cubes of stacked watermelon and feta. It was delicious, although it was a bit difficult to get the quail meat off the little bones. I was very tempted to pick them up in my fingers and gnaw on them but I didn't want to embarass my mother! Mom had the strawberry salad and said it was delicious, too. For an entree, we both ordered the braised rabbit with almond and onion sauce, port wine glaze, a basmati rice cake and baby carrots. The rabbit was fall-off-the-bones tender and easily surpassed the lamb chops I'd had the week before. For dessert I indulged in a dark chocolate torte, while Mom had a blackberry curd mousse tart.

I think this is going to become one of my favorite restaurants.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Hi 4fish, this is Julie from A Mingling of Tastes. You're the winner of my book giveaway for Lost Ravioli Recipes of Hoboken. I did not see a way to contact you, so I'm leaving this comment. Email your address to me and I'll get the book mailed to you: aminglingoftastes AT gmail DOT com. If you don't hear from you in a couple days, I'll announce you as the winner on the blog, and hopefully I'll hear from you!